I have been making my own granola for a while now, much preferring both the taste and sugar content compared to store brought versions. I also really benefited from my lactation granola whilst breastfeeding.
On a recent holiday to Mumbai, whilst at breakfast at the famous Sea lounge in the Taj Palace, I tasted the most delicious freshly made quinoa granola and could not wait to add this great protein addition to my version.
A slightly longer method than normal as you first need to puff the quinoa up in a dry pan but once this is done it as simple as pouring the rest of the ingredients in, mixing and baking.
Quinoa Granola - GF, DF and Vegan
1 cup Quinoa
3 cups Jumbo Oats
1/2 cup Pistachios
1/2 cup Almonds
2 tbsp Flaxseed
1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Sea salt
3 Tbsp Coconut oil
3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Cocunut
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- Puff quinoa - heat a heavy based saucepan and add a small amount of quinoa at a time to cover the base, cook for a few minutes until popped and nutty brown aroma released.
- Allow puffed quinoa to cool on a baking tray
- Combine oats, nuts, flaxseed, Cinnamon and salt together
- Melt coconut oil and whisk in maple syrup until combined
- Add cooled quinoa to oat mixture along with liquid mixture and combine until all coated
- Line two baking trays with baking paper and spread a thin layer on each
- Bake at 160 fan for 20-30 minutes until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes
- Allow to cool before transferring to an air tight container
I hope you all enjoy both making and eating this great granola.