The recent sunshine and abundance of non waxed lemons in my fridge inspired this light zesty sponge cake, perfect for an after dinner treat served with fresh strawberries or with a cup of tea after a busy day at work.
I love the smell and taste of fresh lemons in this cakes. It reminds me so much of summer, but not as much as sun screen. Especially after having kids and always lathering it on them, the smell of this always reminds me of hot sticky days in the sun shine.
This recipe makes two 5inch cakes.
120g + 1 Tbsp Caster sugar
135g Self Raising Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp freshly ground Cardamom
80g Icing Sugar
1. Pre heat oven to 160 fan/gas mark 4 and line the baking tins.
2. Beat together stork and caster sugar in a stand mixture for 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile whisk together two eggs.
4. Zest and juice one lemon.
5. Add eggs mixture, zest and lemon juice and beat for a further 2 minutes.
6. Add flour, baking powder and freshly ground cardamom.
7. Place into two pre lined cake cases.
8. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until cooked through.
9. Whilst the cake is baking, combine and heat the juice of half a lemon with 1 tbsp of caster sugar to form a sugar syrup.
10. Once the cake is cooked but still warm in the tin, pierce several holes with a wooden skewer and pour over syrup.
11. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing onto a wire cooling rack.
12. Whilst the cake is cooling, make lemon icing with remaining half a lemon, zest and icing sugar.
13. Pour over cake and enjoy.